You are hereDepartments > Media Studies   |  Login
 Media Studies

At Shimna you have two opportunities to study media, at GCSE and A level. The media studies department also runs our film club, which offers students the opportunity to plan, script, direct and edit their own short films.

 

Why study the media?
Have you watched TV; listened to the radio or your ipod, read a newspaper, magazine, comic, leaflet, surfed the internet, passed by a billboard poster or played a video game today?

If the answer is yes to some or all of these questions then you will have some idea of the extent to which we rely upon the media in our everyday lives, both as a source of information and entertainment.

 

The media play a central role not only in our own lives but also in the cultural and economic development of the modern world. Studying the media gives you the opportunity to systematically  analyse how media texts are produced, the institutions which produce them and how they create their meanings.

 

What will I study?
You will read about, watch, hear and discuss different types of media texts and you will produce some of your own. You already know a lot about the media, both from school work and from your own general knowledge. You will be learning how to express your ideas about the media in a mature and  thoughtful way.



The media studied are selected from the following: TV, radio, film, newspapers, magazines, comics, popular music, video, desktop publishing, computer-based interactive technology, photography and advertising. There are four key concepts we study:

 

  • Media Languages - How to “read” media texts.
  • Representation - How the media creates impressions of people, events and issues.
  • Institutions - How media industries work.
  • Audience - How the public uses and interprets the media.

What will I be required to do?
Be prepared to keep an open mind, to be an enthusiastic and supportive member of the class, do all homework and meet course work deadlines.


GCSE

A two year course. 60%of your grade is controlled assessment , the other 40% is based on a written exam, ( this year’s topic is the music industry).

Typical coursework tasks:

  • How conventional of the horror genre is the opening sequence of the  film Twilight?
  • Explore how the magazine industry is represented in the television series Ugly Betty.
  • Create a multi media advertising campaign for a new mobile phone.


AS / A2Level: 

This course consists of four modules, two taken in the first year of  AS and two taken in the second year of  A2.

They are:

1. MS1 - Media Representations and  Responses, where you learn how to respond to a range of media texts through the study of genre, narrative, audience and representation.

2. MS2 - Media Production Processes, this is the coursework unit.  This year we study film noir, you will then come up with your own idea for a neo-noir and produce storyboards, magazine articles or film posters for your film .

3. MS3 - Media Investigation and Production, you will undertake a research  investigation into a particular area of the media.  After having done this you will then use this information to help you produce your own practical  piece of coursework based on your research.

4. MS4 - Industry and Audience, in this unit we learn about three different media industries and their relationship with their audiences.  This year we study the film, television and newspaper industry.

 

Cinemagic
Northern Ireland has the privilege of hosting the Cinemagic Film Festival and our students of media and our other students make the most of trips to European films and to meet directors and stars. Over the years, many of our students have found particular success in gaining places on film masterclasses, on the Cinemagic student review panel and in various other competitions.

 

Staff

Noreen Doran-Lahey

Melanie Skelcher (Moving Image Arts)

 

 

 

At Shimna you have two opportunities to study media, at GCSE and A level. The media studies department also runs our film club, which offers students the opportunity to plan, script, direct and edit their own short films.

 

Why study the media?
Have you watched TV; listened to the radio or your ipod, read a newspaper, magazine, comic, leaflet, surfed the internet, passed by a billboard poster or played a video game today?

If the answer is yes to some or all of these questions then you will have some idea of the extent to which we rely upon the media in our everyday lives, both as a source of information and entertainment.

 

The media play a central role not only in our own lives but also in the cultural and economic development of the modern world. Studying the media gives you the opportunity to systematically  analyse how media texts are produced, the institutions which produce them and how they create their meanings.

 

What will I study?
You will read about, watch, hear and discuss different types of media texts and you will produce some of your own. You already know a lot about the media, both from school work and from your own general knowledge. You will be learning how to express your ideas about the media in a mature and  thoughtful way.



The media studied are selected from the following: TV, radio, film, newspapers, magazines, comics, popular music, video, desktop publishing, computer-based interactive technology, photography and advertising. There are four key concepts we study:

 

  • Media Languages - How to “read” media texts.
  • Representation - How the media creates impressions of people, events and issues.
  • Institutions - How media industries work.
  • Audience - How the public uses and interprets the media.

What will I be required to do?
Be prepared to keep an open mind, to be an enthusiastic and supportive member of the class, do all homework and meet course work deadlines.


GCSE

A two year course. 60%of your grade is controlled assessment , the other 40% is based on a written exam, ( this year’s topic is the music industry).

Typical coursework tasks:

  • How conventional of the horror genre is the opening sequence of the  film Twilight?
  • Explore how the magazine industry is represented in the television series Ugly Betty.
  • Create a multi media advertising campaign for a new mobile phone.


AS / A2Level: 

This course consists of four modules, two taken in the first year of  AS and two taken in the second year of  A2.

They are:

1. MS1 - Media Representations and  Responses, where you learn how to respond to a range of media texts through the study of genre, narrative, audience and representation.

2. MS2 - Media Production Processes, this is the coursework unit.  This year we study film noir, you will then come up with your own idea for a neo-noir and produce storyboards, magazine articles or film posters for your film .

3. MS3 - Media Investigation and Production, you will undertake a research  investigation into a particular area of the media.  After having done this you will then use this information to help you produce your own practical  piece of coursework based on your research.

4. MS4 - Industry and Audience, in this unit we learn about three different media industries and their relationship with their audiences.  This year we study the film, television and newspaper industry.

 

Cinemagic
Northern Ireland has the privilege of hosting the Cinemagic Film Festival and our students of media and our other students make the most of trips to European films and to meet directors and stars. Over the years, many of our students have found particular success in gaining places on film masterclasses, on the Cinemagic student review panel and in various other competitions.

 

Staff

Noreen Doran-Lahey

Melanie Skelcher (Moving Image Arts)

 

 

 

Contact Details
Address: The Lawnfield, King Street, Newcastle, Co Down, BT33 0HD
Telephone: 028 437 26107   Fax: 028 437 26109
E Mail: info@shimna.newcastle.ni.sch.uk

Copyright Shimna Integrated College    |   

Contact Details
Address: The Lawnfield, King Street, Newcastle, Co Down, BT33 0HD
Telephone: 028 437 26107   Fax: 028 437 26109
E Mail: info@shimna.newcastle.ni.sch.uk

Copyright Shimna Integrated College    |